Erik M. Bashian – New York Trial Lawyer
500 Old Country Road, Suite 302
Garden City, NY 11530
Erik M. Bashian is principal and founder of Bashian & Papantoniou. Erik is a New York and New Jersey trial lawyer. Prior to launching the firm, Erik was a New York trial attorney at one of the country’s premier general litigation defense law firms and New York trial attorney at a New York City commercial litigation law firm, where he successfully represented clients in lawsuits involving business disputes, breach of contract claims, property damage issues, real estate matters, construction claims, landlord-tenant proceedings, judgment enforcement cases and collection matters.
He is approved by the Office of Court Administration in the State of New York to be appointed as Discovery Referee by Justices of the Supreme Court in New York State. Erik served as the Vice-Chairman of the Commercial Litigation Committee of the Nassau County Bar Association. Erik concentrates his New York law practice in general and civil litigation at both the Federal and State levels. He is an extremely hard working New York and Long Island trial attorney, who demonstrates a high level of responsibility and a strong passion for oral advocacy in the New York trial court system. His diligent preparation and ability to master the law and details of every case he handles provides clients with invaluable legal strategies and assessments.
His clients include individuals, business owners, real estate property owners, property management companies, doctors, contractors, security guards, private investigators, dentists, real estate brokers and hospitality groups. Erik also represents prospective buyers and sellers in real estate closings for residential homes, condominiums, cooperative apartment buildings and commercial properties. He also recently began volunteering once a month with the Nassau County Mortgage Foreclosure clinic at the Nassau County Bar Association. His legal practice includes the negotiating, reviewing and drafting of business contracts, residential and commercial lease agreements, contracts of sale, employment agreements, settlement agreements and releases.
Erik is a native of Long Island, New York. Prior to becoming a New York trial lawyer, Erik received his Bachelor of Science Degree from Towson University and graduated with a major in Business Administration, and concentration in Marketing. Erik was a recipient of the merit-based Towson University Scholarship and member of the Towson Honors College. In 2004, he received his law degree from New York Law School. During law school, Erik worked as an enforcement intern for FINRA (formerly known as the NASD), a self-regulatory organization of the securities industry then responsible for the operation and regulation of the Nasdaq stock market, and also served as an intern in the Domestic Violence Bureau of the Queens County District Attorney’s Office. Erik is licensed to practice law in New York and New Jersey. Some of his most recent legal experiences include the following:
- Represented and defended construction management, and real estate development company in breach of contract claims concerning the construction and development of a luxury loft apartment building complex in New York City.
- Represented several of New York City’s most successful nightclub venues, restaurants and leading hospitality companies in state court lawsuits, administrative tribunals and landlord-tenant court proceedings.
- Defended Metropolitan Transportation Authority owned bus company in a litany of personal injury and property damage lawsuits arising in New York City.
- Represented client in its opposition to an RPAPL §881 proceeding and negotiated, and drafted the settlement agreement to resolve such dispute with neighboring real estate developer, which sought access to our client’s property for purposes of furthering a multimillion dollar real estate development project.
- Represented and defended various commercial real estate brokerage companies, and their brokers in breach of contract claims involving the nonpayment of brokerage commissions.
- Represented international jeweler in federal court lawsuit concerning million dollar breach of contract claim against premier jeweler and luxury goods retailer.
- Defended New York registered security guard and patrol agency, and its qualifying officer at New York State administrative hearing, in which we successfully negotiated the dismissal of 53 of the 70 violations.
- Successfully defeated motions for summary judgment in lieu of complaint on behalf of alleged borrower under loan documents and mortgages.
- Defended employers in federal and state court for claims of unlawful discrimination, sexual harassment and breach of contract.
- Represented songwriter in the bringing of a copyright infringement claim in federal court.
- Successfully defended graduate student by obtaining dismissal of discplinary complaint concerning allegations of academic dishonesty asserted by a New York State University.
- Represented contractor in the collection of monies owed by building developer.
- New York
- New Jersey
- Southern District Court of New York
- Eastern District Court of New York
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Armenian Bar Association
- Brooklyn Bar Association
- Jewish Lawyers Association of Nassau County, Inc.
- Merrick Jewish Center, Board Member of MJC Men’s Club
- Nassau County Bar Association, Vice-Chairman of the Commercial Litigation Committee
- Nassau County Bar Association, Volunteer at Superstorm Sandy Recovery Legal Consultation Clinics
- Nassau County Bar Association, Volunteer at Mortgage Foreclosure Legal Consultation Clinics
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Southern Chapter, Marketing and Corporate Relations Committee
- New York State Bar Association
- Suffolk County Bar Association